Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India imports 2,400 tonnes of onions from Egypt to lower prices
Concerned over an onion price rise, the Indian government today said 2,400 tonnes of onions have been imported by private traders from Egypt to boost supply and indicated the facilitating of more imports if rates go up unreasonably high.
The consumer affairs ministry is closely monitoring onion prices, which are rising high in the range of Rs 40-50 per kg in most retail markets depending on the quality.
"Imports are happening from Egypt. Private traders have already placed an order for 2,400 tonnes. The containers are landing at the Mumbai port," a senior ministry official told PTI after the review meeting with traders.
Another shipment of 9,000 tonnes of onion is expected to arrive soon. Private traders have been asked to be prepared for more imports from neighbouring countries if prices rise unreasonably high, he said.
The import related issue was discussed at a review meeting chaired by Consumer Affairs Secretary Avinash K Srivastava. Senior officials from commerce and agriculture ministries and private traders were present.
1 RS = 0.016 USD
Publication date: 9/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: