Job offersmore »
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Poland: Idared and Jonagored apples, in perfect condition
Producers had a surprise in store when they started harvesting their apples a month and a half ago, finding that they were black on the inside, which has made this second part of the harvesting season especially tense. However, after initial checks, they can finally assure that both the Idared and the Jonagored are in a perfect condition to be marketed. Moreover, the volume obtained has not changed too much from that of previous years, so there is a general feeling of optimism. "We will get about 280 tonnes, just like last year, and even if we need more, we can always ask neighbouring producers," explains Monika Cłapa, of Perfect Fruits.
However, the price at origin for these apples at this time is 0.60 Euro; "a normal price for Europe, but very high for Belarus, our main customer, which will pay no more than 0.42 Euro," stated this Polish entrepreneur. At the moment, only apples are being harvested and stored. "The Royal Gala have all been sold already to the UK, which is a regular customer and only wants this variety," explains Cłapa. "As for the rest, we'll have to wait and see what happens with prices if they don't go down."
Last year, there was a similar situation, and many growers chose to store the fruit and sell it to the processing industry. "Prices were good, so I suspect that this year many producers intend to do the same. But they forget that there are never two campaigns alike," concludes Cłapa.
For more information:
Perfect Fruits sp.zo.o
Tel.: +48 608 172 880
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: