Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Enhanced production stimulates Chinese apple industry
"At the beginning of spring this year, the continuous lower temperatures in Gansu influenced the blossoming of early ripe apples, such as Starkrimson and Huaniu, leading to a decrease in production. In some areas, the Starkrimson harvest even failed. The rainfall has also influenced the bagged production of Fuji apples. Furthermore, there has been a lot of the extreme weather in the summer. Some areas have been severely damaged by hail. Overall, I believe that, compared to last year, the Fuji production quantity and quality of Gansu will be worse," says Mr. Zhang from Gansu Ganffer Fruit Co Ltd.
Experts from Gansu Ganffer Fruit are giving technical guidance to farmers
"Gansu Ganffer Fruit Co Ltd. was founded in March 2014. It is located in Huining, one of Gansu's main apple production areas. We are performing agricultural circulation on our 300 hectares of apple fields. We grow Yanfu 10, a variety of Fuji apples. They are round with a high stump. Their flesh is yellow, dense, crunchy, juicy and does not turn brown easily."
Yanfu 10 apples"Our high quality apples are sold in China under our "Ganffer" brand. We supply them every year from the middle of October to September the next year. We are working together with a few large high-end fruit sellers, and are currently negotiating with Pagoda Orchard. We are also planning to found franchise stores in several large cities. When the time is right, we want to expand to other countries as well, such as Nepal and Thailand."
Farmers discuss production questions
"China ranks first in both apple production area and quantity. However, for the past few years, as the Chinese consumption and preference for high quality products are growing, imported apples are becoming more and more popular, but the price remains low. Because of this, as the Chinese production of high quality apples is too low, we decided to improve the production process. We have spared no expenses to invest in modernizing our equipment, such as controlled atmosphere storages."
"China currently has a production surplus of Fuji apples. Especially in the past years, there have been a lot of investments in fields. After the new apples entered the market last year, the market has been depressed. For the second year in a row, from the spring until now, the Gansu apple price was over 3.5 yuan per 500 gram. It has recently increased up to 5 yuan, which is very high. After new apples have entered the market, the price will definitely become relatively low. When these apples have been sold, the price will once again go up."
Gansu Ganffer Fruit Co., Ltd. will attend Asia Fruit Logistica from 6 to 8 September in Hong Kong, where they can be found at stand Q17-Ev in exhibition hall 5D.
Gansu Ganffer Fruit Co., Ltd.
Agricultural Industrial Park, Huining County, Gansu Province, China
Phone: +86 943 3591 999
Publication date: 9/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: