Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- Lidl formula is becoming more and more like the local corner shops
- Fruit fly infested fruit found in supermarket
- Increased packing line efficiency for Washington apple grower
- US: Next generation of pre-packaged snacks adds fresh fruit and vegetables
- Italian kiwifruit growers visit New Zealand orchards
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ethiopa expects 34.5M tonnes in ag production this year
The Agriculture and Natural Resources Ministry announced that over 90 percent of the cultivated land in the Ethiopia has been covered by various crops. It also stated that it has been making efforts to overcome El Niño related challenges.
The Ministry Crop Development Acting Director Esayas Lema told The Ethiopian Herald that agricultural production and productivity have been growing by six percent for many consecutive years. For instance, during the last harvest season, the nation managed to gain a bumper crop of twenty million quintals.
He further said such a plentiful harvest had been secured due to farmers' increased inputs utilization and continuous natural resource management, among other agricultural activities.
Aside from utilizing various soil fertility methods, the government's policies and strategies in the agriculture sector have been immensely contributing to the growth.
According to Esayas, as part of The Second Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP II), the country has planned to harvest crops of 345 million quintals in the next harvest season. "We have supplied and distributed enough agricultural inputs, offered capacity building and various trainings on irrigation schemes."
"We are working hard to achieve the nation's agriculture sector GTP II targets."
Publication date: 8/31/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: