Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China's COSCO Shipping reports $288m in first-half profit
China's COSCO Shipping Holdings Co reported a first-half profit on Wednesday and forecast that improved demand in the container shipping market would continue for the rest of the year.
China's largest shipping group, which last month offered to buy a Hong Kong peer to become the world's third-largest container liner, said January-June net profit was 1.86 billion yuan ($288.32 million).
That matched an estimate it announced in July, citing improved market conditions. It also booked revenues of 43.5 billion yuan for the period.
Having endured a lengthy slump, the global container shipping industry has shown signs of recovery this year as overcapacity eases and freight rates increase.
COSCO said it expected to see continued good demand in the market, but that there were still some uncertainties ahead as the industry was awaiting a new delivery of ships that would add more capacity.
Denmark's AP Moeller Maersk A/S gave an upbeat outlook for container shipping earlier this month, saying market "fundamentals are at their best since 2010".
Publication date: 8/31/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: