Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- World-first Panama disease-resistant Cavendish bananas developed
- Zimbabwe: Timing of general's visit to China raises questions
- NZ: AVOCO's avocado exports growing, despite some market inconsistencies
- New avocado variety to extend growing season
- Dwindling labor force in Washington fruit tree industry putting stress on production
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Meiyue mini watermelons hit the market
On 24 August 2017, Hainan's newest breed entered the market: Meiyue mini watermelons. While the price for large, sweet watermelons from northern China ranges between 0.32 and 1.9 yuan per 500 gram, the price for Hainan's local mini watermelons has reached 7 to 8 yuan per 500 gram. The net profit per mu is over 30.000 yuan, which is 4 to 25 times as much as the local profit.
The mini watermelons are sold in supermarkets for 8.98 yuan per 500 gram. The weight of one melon is around 1 to 1.5 kilogram. The largest characteristics of these watermelons are that its skin is only 0.3 centimeter thick and they are relatively sweet.
The breed that Hainan is now growing has been brought in from Taiwan over 20 years ago. Its product quality is good for the high-end market. However, the skin is a disadvantage, as it is easily damaged in long distance transport.
Publication date: 8/31/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: