Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Troubled season ahead for Chinese pomelo exports"
"Pinghe in Fujian is the home of Chinese pomeloes. Its large, tasty, tender, juicy and durable pomeloes are famous in China and abroad. Compared to last year, the total production quantity of Pinghe pomeloes has increased by 30%. This is mainly because of the good weather and the production expansion by farmers," states Ms. Chunxian Wu from Xiamen Juicy Import and Export Co., Ltd.
Packed honey pomeloes from Xiamen Juicy Import and Export Co., Ltd.
Honey pomelo production
"The new export season for honey pomeloes started at the beginning of August, and it will continue until January next year. The export price is the same as last year, but because business costs, such as packaging and shipping costs, have increased, the price for getting them to the foreign market will be higher than last year. That is why many exporters have started a price war. Many factories have no other choice but to get rid of the fruit they cannot sell in the domestic market for cheaper prices.
Furthermore, there is already enough fruit that is suitable for export. This will cause the export price to stay low. In fact, this disorder on the market has been happening for the past few years. The export is still in trouble."
Freshly picked honey pomeloes
Packaged Pinghe honey pomeloes, waiting to be exported
"In Pinghe, we have collectively owned honey pomelo fields, and 120 hectares (1200 mu) of our own fields, of which 50 hectares (500 mu) have red pomeloes, and 70 hectares (700 mu) white pomeloes. Under our own brand "Juicy" we sell 40% of our honey pomeloes through traditional sales channels to distributors and supermarkets in Guizhou and Henan. The other 60% is exported through the port of Xiamen to Europe and Canada. Moreover, we also do processing of our products according to our customers' requirements."
Large, juicy and tasty Pinge honey pomeloes
"As opposed to the Chinese market, that likes small fruit, the foreign market prefers large fruit. We are now producing more white pomeloes, because the price of red pomeloes is relatively high. However, compared to white pomeloes, the value of red pomeloes is higher, and their taste is better. Chinese consumers in Canada prefer red pomeloes, so we are recommending those to them. This year's production season has just started. It is still too early to say how it will develop. However, we are not ruling out that the market will repeat what happened in 2015, when pomeloes were impossible to sell."
Xiame Juicy Import and Export will exhibit at Asia Fruit Logistica, Hall 3c, stand M-17H
Xiamen Juicy import and export co.,ltd
Phone: +86 159 6081 4638
Publication date: 9/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: