Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- World-first Panama disease-resistant Cavendish bananas developed
- Zimbabwe: Timing of general's visit to China raises questions
- NZ: AVOCO's avocado exports growing, despite some market inconsistencies
- New avocado variety to extend growing season
- Dwindling labor force in Washington fruit tree industry putting stress on production
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Eleven refugees hidden in refrigerated truck transporting mangoes
Eleven Iraqi and Iranian refugees, two of them minors, were found by Dutch police as they travelled hidden in a refrigerator truck transporting fruit on a road in the south of the country.
According to the local newspaper Eindhovens Dagblad, there was a Portuguese married couple in the cabin of the truck who ignored that there were people inside, until they saw in the rearview mirror that someone was waving a white flag from the inside through a filter of the refrigeration system.
Nobody knows how many hours the refugees had been hidden in the truck, which officially carried a cargo of mangoes, and was heading to the United Kingdom from the French city of Tours.
The driver explained that when he noticed that something strange was happening, he stopped at a nearby service station and called the police, who opened the truck and found the refugees. The latter then received medical assistance before being referred to the immigration services.
The Portuguese carrier and his wife were questioned by the police, who did not bring charges against them and let them continue with their route.
Publication date: 8/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: