Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Brazil: Prices of onions in the Cerrado
Last week, onion prices fell in the Cerrado region. One of the causes mentioned by HF Brasil is the increase in supply throughout the country, especially in the region of São Paulo, where production reaches its peak in August. Another reason for the fall in prices is that the month is about to end, which, according to HF Brazil sources, always reduces the demand for vegetables.
Intense rainfall is also reported in the Ituporanga region, in the state of Santa Catarina, in early August. The National Institute of Meteorology registered a cumulative rainfall of almost 140 mm as of last week. Some hail fell at the beginning of the month, but it affected the urban area almost exclusively, without causing significant damage to the southern onion producers.
In addition, HF Brazil mentions that most of the bulbs were at an early stage, and that in some areas they had not even begun to plant, since the planting in the region, which began in late May, should end this month. This means that even if there were some crop damage, there is time to recover for the harvest period, which is scheduled for early November.
Development is satisfactory so far In the rest of the south, and sowing is expected to also end by late September. The harvest in Irati (Paraná) and San José del Norte (Rio Grande do Sul) is scheduled for October, and in Lebon Régis (Santa Catarina), in December, concludes HF Brazil.
Publication date: 8/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: