Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Brazil: Prices of onions in the Cerrado
Last week, onion prices fell in the Cerrado region. One of the causes mentioned by HF Brasil is the increase in supply throughout the country, especially in the region of São Paulo, where production reaches its peak in August. Another reason for the fall in prices is that the month is about to end, which, according to HF Brazil sources, always reduces the demand for vegetables.
Intense rainfall is also reported in the Ituporanga region, in the state of Santa Catarina, in early August. The National Institute of Meteorology registered a cumulative rainfall of almost 140 mm as of last week. Some hail fell at the beginning of the month, but it affected the urban area almost exclusively, without causing significant damage to the southern onion producers.
In addition, HF Brazil mentions that most of the bulbs were at an early stage, and that in some areas they had not even begun to plant, since the planting in the region, which began in late May, should end this month. This means that even if there were some crop damage, there is time to recover for the harvest period, which is scheduled for early November.
Development is satisfactory so far In the rest of the south, and sowing is expected to also end by late September. The harvest in Irati (Paraná) and San José del Norte (Rio Grande do Sul) is scheduled for October, and in Lebon Régis (Santa Catarina), in December, concludes HF Brazil.
Publication date: 8/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: