Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Brazil: Prices of onions in the Cerrado
Last week, onion prices fell in the Cerrado region. One of the causes mentioned by HF Brasil is the increase in supply throughout the country, especially in the region of São Paulo, where production reaches its peak in August. Another reason for the fall in prices is that the month is about to end, which, according to HF Brazil sources, always reduces the demand for vegetables.
Intense rainfall is also reported in the Ituporanga region, in the state of Santa Catarina, in early August. The National Institute of Meteorology registered a cumulative rainfall of almost 140 mm as of last week. Some hail fell at the beginning of the month, but it affected the urban area almost exclusively, without causing significant damage to the southern onion producers.
In addition, HF Brazil mentions that most of the bulbs were at an early stage, and that in some areas they had not even begun to plant, since the planting in the region, which began in late May, should end this month. This means that even if there were some crop damage, there is time to recover for the harvest period, which is scheduled for early November.
Development is satisfactory so far In the rest of the south, and sowing is expected to also end by late September. The harvest in Irati (Paraná) and San José del Norte (Rio Grande do Sul) is scheduled for October, and in Lebon Régis (Santa Catarina), in December, concludes HF Brazil.
Publication date: 8/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: