Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
University of Arkansas develops new table grapeA new seedless, white table grape from the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture combines the crisp texture of California table grapes with thin skin with the rich, fruity flavor blend of eastern table grapes, officials said.
“Passion” joins the lineup of inspiration-themed table grapes developed by the Division of Agriculture’s fruit breeding program, said John R. Clark, Distinguished Professor of horticulture and program director.
The other inspiration table grapes are the black grapes “Faith” and “Joy” and white grapes “Hope” and “Gratitude.”
Clark said “Passion” was the pinnacle of achievement for an effort begun by James N. Moore, who founded the Division of Agriculture fruit breeding program in 1964.
Moore wanted to develop seedless table grapes that could be grown in Arkansas, Clark said. He wanted to combine the thin-skinned, crispy texture of California grapes with the fruity flavor of eastern grapes. Crosses were made over a 45-year period to achieve this goal.
According to Moore, the fruit ripens at the Fruit Research Station near Clarksville from early August into September, Clark said. The average mid-season harvest date was Aug. 22.
“Passion” ripens usually two weeks later than “Jupiter” and nearly the same time as “Hope.”
“Passion” will be available from licensed propagators of Division of Agriculture fruit varieties. A list of licensed propagators can be found online here.
Read more at pbcommerical.com
Publication date: 8/29/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: