Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ghana fresh cut pineapple exports earned $53m in 2016Available data shows that in 2016, Ghana exported fresh cut pineapples worth $53 million, and the Ghana Export Promotion Authority (GEPA) launched an initiative to boost the production of the smooth cayenne (SC) variety of pineapples to meet demand for the local and export market.
The SC variety which has been widely produced and exported in Ghana since the 1980’s, was abandoned by farmers as a result of a varietal shift to an increasing high demand for the MD2 pineapple variety by importers in the EU in 2005.
As a result of this shift in market demand for MD2, Ghana has seen a decline in the volume of exports - with smallholder farmers who contributed between 35 – 50% of the export volume of pineapple before 2004, bearing the brunt.
Addressing stakeholders at Bomart Farms Nsawam, Ms Kekeli Klenam, Chief Executive of GEPA, said the project aimed to address weak supply chains to the processing firms and also to promote exports of air- freighted Smooth Cayenne pineapples into a niche market in the EU.
She said GEPA has, as part of the implementation of the National Export Strategy (NES), developed a comprehensive four-year work plan for the revitalization of the smooth cayenne variety of pineapple, for both fresh and high value processed markets..
Publication date: 8/29/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: