Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Mario Iuzzoluni, VerDi Import:
"Prickly pears a high demand item this time of year"
The prickly pear season is in full swing. "We have been receiving the prickly pears from our Italian suppliers for years and it's a high demand item this time of year," says Mario Iuzzolino of VerDi Import. "The ethnic trade is the main buyer of prickly pears, but they are becoming more well known every year and we are selling them outside of our Turkish customers increasingly often."
"Especially in the coming month as the fruit flows from Spain are reducing and the Spanish vegetable season hasn't started yet, prickly pears are a good alternative. You can see that the prickly pear is being processed into gin and tonics more, for instance," says Mario. Prices are at a level of around 4 Euro for size 13, 3.25 Euro for size 16, 3 Euro for size 18 and 10 euro for 10 x 1 kg at the moment.
VerDi started with the prickly pears at the start of this month and dependent on the weather conditions the season will run until the end of October. "Morocco and Spain are also supplying prickly pears, but we are limiting ourselves to the import from Sicily. The prickly pears originally come from Mexico," says Mario.
For more information:
Tel: +31 (0)180 69 64 65
Publication date: 8/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: