Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US sweet potato industry pioneer Carson Barnes passes awayCarson Barnes, a driving force in the North Carolina sweet potato industry, passed away late Saturday evening. He was 82.
Barnes began farming in 1960 with three-eighths of an acre of sweet potatoes and eight acres of tobacco. His company, Barnes Farming Corp., has grown to become the largest sweet potato grower and shipper in the country.
“Barnes Farming Corporation and Farm Pak Products has always been a family operation that strives to do business the right way” said Johnny Barnes, president of Barnes Farming. “We want the memory of my dad and former president to serve as a reminder to continue to grow the best quality sweet potatoes from field to fork.”
During Barnes’ career, he worked diligently with the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission to promote sweet potatoes both domestically and internationally, making sweet potatoes one of the most sought-after vegetables in Europe.
“Carson Barnes will forever be remembered as one who dedicated his life to the entire industry. He was one of the firsts of many things. His innovation and vision helped make us all as successful as we could be,” said Kelly McIver, executive director of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
Publication date: 8/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: