Job offersmore »
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
- Technical Assistant - East Malling (Kent), UK
- Greenhouse Controls Technician - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Asda sells confectionery-flavoured Spanish grapes
British supermarket chain Asda has started marketing grapes with the flavour of sweets, chewing gum and plums.
The grapes come from Spain, because it is there where this fruit acquires a special texture and flavour. Alberto Goldbacher, head of the supermarket's fruit department, says the goal is to offer customers something different, while encouraging children to eat more fruit.
"We work with fruit producers from around the world to select the best flavours," says the company's blog.
The grapes, which have become a hit at Asda, are not genetically modified; they are simply crossed with the chosen flavours as they grow in a natural way.
"It's very technical; growers know what chromosome has the characteristics they want to mix with another variety (...) and they grow like any other fruit."
Alberto, who speaks with enthusiasm on his blog, talks about this line of grapes as if the supermarket was the Wonka Chocolate Factory. He assures that they have a wide range of flavours, "including the popular cotton candy, with a wonderful sweet vanilla flavour, and plums, with an incredible chewing gum flavour and a red texture."
Alberto insists that the flavours are completely natural. "They are 60% plum and 40% apricot."
It is the second year that Asda markets these cotton candy, plum or chewing gum-flavoured grapes. Last year they were very successful.
"Our goal is offering our customers the most exclusive fruit varieties, as well as something that the young ones will want to try," concludes Alberto.
Publication date: 8/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: