Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
Pujiang producers await cautiously
China: Mixed outlook for country's major kiwifruit production region
"From what I know, total kiwifruit production area in China has been growing in the past years, and this year has not been different. Kiwifruit production quantity and quality have been influenced by frequent extreme weather, but in general the production quantity is still growing. This is mainly because of the growth in production," states Mr. Li, a kiwi farmer from Pujiang, Sichuan.
Farmers are transporting freshly picked kiwis
"In Pujiang, there has been enough sunlight, high temperatures and frequent rain at night. This has caused the fruit to have a darker color. However, the taste is better than last year. This is because the government has implemented strict controls on harvest time, to create a brand image for Pujiang kiwis on the market."
Kiwi fields in Pujiang, Sichuan"Our farm in Pujiang county in Chengdu, Sichuan, has a kiwi production area of 2 hectares (20 mu). Hong Yang red kiwis are being produced here. These kiwis turn ripe from the beginning of August, and are usually picked within 10 days of becoming ripe, after which they are stored in refrigerated warehouses. Last year, the market price for Pujiang kiwis was very good, around 8-9 yuan per 500 gram. The sales success encouraged many kiwi producers to expand, leaving them optimistic for the future."
"However, things did not go as expected. The current price is around 6 yuan per 500 gram. Compared to last year, that is a drop of 30%. To avoid risks, distributors are now not willing to purchase large quantities for high prices. They only want small quantities to test the waters on the market. Furthermore, many farmers are not approving of the low prices, so they leave their kiwis on the trees, and wait for better prices. Because of these two factors, the market for Pujiang kiwis is depressed."
Sturdy, juicy kiwis
Ecommerce supports growers direct sales
"Apart from selling our kiwis through traditional sales channels to distributors in Chengdu, we also sell them through e-commerce platforms. This will be our third year of using these platforms. The quick development of e-commerce platforms has had a large impact on the market. Currently, at least one third of the purchases by end consumers are made through these platforms. Moreover, sales methods in fruit stores are also changing. People can now directly contact the stores online to make a purchase."
Employees picking kiwis
"Pujiang county in Chengdu, Sichuan, is located at 30 degrees northern latitude. It is widely known as the best region for producing kiwis worldwide. The ecology is excellent, resources are plentiful, and the market base is good. Over the years, 'Pujiang kiwis' have become a geographical trademark. In the past, government controls have not been very strict. To take advantage of the market, many farmers have harvested earlier, when the product quality was not ideal, influencing the market image of Pujiang kiwis. In the last two years, the government has implemented more strict controls, such as have a single harvest time, to maintain the quality of the kiwis, and to realize the development of the industry. This is the main reason that Pujiang kiwis have become more popular."
Contact: Mr. Li
Phone : +86 181 4439 3507
Publication date: 8/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: