Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- World-first Panama disease-resistant Cavendish bananas developed
- Zimbabwe: Timing of general's visit to China raises questions
- NZ: AVOCO's avocado exports growing, despite some market inconsistencies
- New avocado variety to extend growing season
- Dwindling labor force in Washington fruit tree industry putting stress on production
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru: Nearly 45% of Piura's bananas affected by a pest
Axel Herrera Seminar, the coordinator of the Public Investment Project of Organic Bananas (PIPBO), stated that the red rust thrips affected 3,500 hectares of bananas for export in Piura, i.e. almost 45% of the 8 thousand hectares devoted to this crop.
Herrera Seminar also stated that said pest had been detected by the Banana Technical Table after it had appeared in 2012.
Herrera said the goal of the PIPBO was to reduce the effect of the pest on bananas from 45% to 30% by releasing biological controllers.
The project requires a 9 million soles investment and will favor more than 8 thousand associated producers in the region that work on some 7,800 hectares of organic banana for export.
According to Herrera Seminar, they have already purchased 35 million biological controllers for bananas and they have released some in 410 hectares of demonstration plots. It is worth mentioning that there are 75 banana associations in the region.
The productivity of this fruit was affected by the presence of the Coastal El Niño, and was down by 20%, as it encouraged the white spot plague which affected the root of the banana plants.
Publication date: 8/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: