Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
World Banana Summit
"There is a great demand for knowledge on the part of the producers"
This week, Guayaquil hosted the eighth edition of the World Banana Summit, organised by the Association of Zamoranos del Litoral, the Association of Graduates of the Agriculture School of the Tropical Humid Region (Agearth-Ecuador) and Expoplaza.
The event, held at the Simón Bolívar Convention Centre, not only counts with the participation of scientists, entrepreneurs and producer associations involved in the banana sector, but also serves as a trade fair attended by 50 companies.
Moreover, Santiago Jaramillo, an agricultural consultant, said that this summit is the most important banana event in the country and the region.
"There is a great demand for knowledge on the part of the producers, so current topics regarding innovation, markets and other issues are addressed in the conferences."
15 international experts have participated in the World Banana Summit 2017, sharing their knowledge regarding phytosanitary research and advances, crop protection, banana management, renovation of plantations and corporate responsibility and competitiveness.
At the opening of the event, the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Ecuador, Vanessa Cordero, highlighted that 164,000 hectares are devoted to banana cultivation in the country.
Meanwhile, Foreign Trade Minister Pablo Campana assured that this fruit is one of the main sources of income for the national economy and gives employment to more than one million Ecuadorian families.
"To consolidate our efforts, I will embark on an international mission through China, the United States, Qatar, Russia and EFTA countries in search of new trade agreements."
Publication date: 8/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: