Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tanga seeks to reclaim industrial economy with nut & fruit processingSome decades ago, Tanga was a region with a vibrant industrial economy, with people travelling from all other regions of Tanzania to seek employment in the area, located at country's North east corridor. Now, the region is trying to bring back the glory days of industry, and a major part of the plan is investing in nuts and fruit processing.
Tanga is one of the regional leaders in growing cashew nuts, and the region plans to set up a big warehouse with a capacity of storing 10,000 tonnes of cashew nuts.
"With this plan, we want industries to process the cashew nuts," he says. Stakeholders are optimistic that should the collapsed factories be revived it would be a major way of creating employment for jobless youth in the region.
Stakeholders also believe that if the government were to establish a fruit processing industry and other food processing industries, it will encourage the farmers shift to commercial agriculture.
"We want the government to have strategic plans for establishing processing industries in the district that will enable many farmers to put more efforts in commercial agriculture "he said.
Korogwe District Commissioner (DC), Robert Gabriel, recently hosted an investor from the Netherlands, Rachel Toklu, who expressed her interest in establishing a fruit processing industry in the district and she in turn told the DC that she would start with building an orange processing industry there.
For that matter, the DC has called upon residents of Korogwe, Muheza and Handeni to capitalize on the envisaged fruit industry, since the farmers in the districts are mainly growers of this fruit.
Read more at allafrica.com
Publication date: 8/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: