- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Large potato production for Poland this year
The official production figures will not be published before the harvesting finishes.
"Prices are stable, although the Polish market is highly competitive at the beginning of the season, where the price can change very quickly. New potatoes are still the only domestic potatoes on the market at the moment, but the set skin potatoes will start in around 2 weeks, followed by loose skin potatoes and washed in 2 weeks from now. The most commonly grown new potato varieties are Riviera, Lord, Denar and Volumia, Colomba and Anuschka." shared Łukasz Ostrowicz from Bugaj Sp. z.o.o
"There have been some queries from the foreign companies about the potatoes for the french fries industry. However, it is still too early for the growers to be ready with this material."
This last week was a national holiday in Poland so the market has been slow and will pick up again at the beginning of September, once everyone is back at work and school after the summer holidays.
The EU ban on the free export of Polish (raw) potatoes to the EU, remains an issue that growers would like to resolve and there has been a recent proposal that a starting point to releasing the ban would be to only allow grower's who have not had the Potato Wart Disease in the past 3 years, and have proven to have used qualified seed material, to be able to export.
"There was a huge push from all potato growers last year to band together and work on lifting the ban when there was a shortage of potatoes in Western Europe, but I've noticed that there have been fewer people actively pursuing the issue this year, now that there appears to be enough potatoes to cover the market. I think that this is a shame and I hope that growers continue to collaborate to ensure that we continue to move forward."
This coming 25th and 26th of August, will bring the 24th annual National Potato days in Poland, organised by IHAR Bonin, HR Kalinowa and the National Potato Association.
"Although this is far from the first year for the event, this year has brought tremendous changes. Firstly, the event will be much larger, with all of the major company's in the industry taking part. This year, seed companies will show their potato trials on the terrain, which will be harvested during the event."
For more information:
BUGAJ Sp. z o.o.
Tel: +48 698 678 536
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 ‘All preconditions for potatoes export to EU market fulfilled’
- 09/21/2018 Potato prices soar in Spain
- 09/21/2018 TAAT sweet potato compact launched in Accra
- 09/21/2018 US Market and Crop update onions
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves
- 09/18/2018 Market and Crop Update for September 13, 2018
- 09/18/2018 International potato sales highest ever for the United States
- 09/18/2018 France: "Surfaces planted with traditional shallots in decline"
- 09/17/2018 Potato Europe 2018: Focus on seeds, machinery and storage technology
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Potato harvest kicks off harvest in Bolu
- 09/17/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/17/2018 India: Nafed to begin disposal of 13k tons of buffer onion stock
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Onion harvest has started in Bandirma
- 09/14/2018 Germany faces potato shortage after record hot, dry summer
- 09/14/2018 "Calmer atmosphere on the Dutch markets"
- 09/14/2018 "Luckily we made some headway with bale prices"