Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Strawberries beneath accessible protective covers - Yields are rising continuously
According to the preliminary results published by the Bureau of Statistics in Lower Saxony (LSN), the state is expecting to harvest 32,300 tons of strawberries this year. These are the lowest yields since 2013, even though the strawberry producers had problems with the weather during last year's season as well.
But it's not just the bad weather that's to blame for the decrease in Lower Saxony. The acreage for strawberry cultivation on open fields has been decreasing as well, from 3,600 ha in 2013 to 2,900 ha in this year (-18%).
The not yet productive area has reduced continuously since 2013 as well (-22.9%). Thus, the trend of reduction of the strawberry cultivation in Lower Saxony continues.
While production in the open field is becoming less and less important, many farmers now cultivate strawberries underneath accessible protective covers, sometimes even on multiple floor levels. This technique is enabling a production independent from weather. The yields in this sector in 2017 increased by 57% compared to last year (3,100 t).
Source: Statistik Niedersachsen
Publication date: 8/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: