Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Chiquita takes credit for upcoming solar eclipseThe Great American Solar Eclipse will be visible to North Americans from Oregon to South Carolina on Aug. 21 on a stretch of land about 70 miles wide. During this time, the moon will appear to completely cover the sun, darkening the daytime sky for a few breathless moments. Their alignment is an event that occurs about once every 18 months.
Chiquita’s has launched a campaign that takes advantage of the seconds before and after the eclipse, when you see just a slim sliver of light as the moon slowly draws its shadow over Helios.
“On the path of totality, you will see two distinct banana suns,” the brand promises. “The total eclipse occurs in between the two banana suns as a sort of lackluster intermission.”
The “Banana Sun” launch, created alongside Wieden + Kennedy, is part of the brand’s ongoing “We Are Bananas” campaign.
“We’ve always strived to move mountains with our work, but until now, moving the fifth-largest natural satellite in our solar system was simply a pipe dream,” says W+K creative Jarrod Higgins. “We’re so honored to celebrate this wondrous moment with banana devotees around the country free of charge.”
“From debuting our iconic Blue Stickers in 1944 to introducing the world to Miss Chiquita, we’ve always aimed to drive Chiquita’s message of fun through vibrant and lighthearted visual storytelling,” says Andrew Biles, Chiquita Brands International’s president and CEO. “’We Are Bananas’ continues that tradition with a new and exciting out-of-this-world creative for our fans.”
If you want to keep up with the Banana Sun (or even just watch the solar eclipse), TheBananaSun.com will be updated regularly through Aug. 21.
Publication date: 8/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: