Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Organic production is expected to skyrocket
Fresh market 2017 pear volume similar to 2016Northwest pear growers anticipate harvesting about the same volume of fresh market pears as last year, but organic production is expected to skyrocket.
Growers in Washington and Oregon estimate they will harvest 18 million 44-pound boxes of pears for the fresh market this season, according to the Pear Bureau Northwest’s August crop estimate.
If the number holds, it will roughly fall in line with the 2016-2017 pear season but fall about 9 percent below the five-year average, according to the Portland, Oregon-based Pear Bureau, which represents growers from Washington and Oregon.
However, growers and packers expect organic pear production to shoot up to 1.45 million boxes, a 22-percent increase over last season.
Publication date: 8/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: