Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "US agriculture has failed to benefit from the Korean Free Trade Agreement"
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Photo report New York Produce show
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
California almonds now cover 1 million acres
California's almond boom has hit 1 million acres, covering a total area bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
The Record news of Stockton reports the state's almond harvest is expected to hit a record 2.2 billion pounds (1 billion kilograms) this year.
Surging demand for almond snacks in Asia has helped make almonds California's richest agricultural export, surpassing wine grapes and other crops.
The doubling of the state's almond acreage since 2000 is controversial because the state has frequent droughts, and nut trees can't be fallowed in a dry year. However, the Almond Board of California says the state has the most efficient almond growers in the world.
Publication date: 8/8/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: