Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: New technology really app-peeling to banana growers
The new Better Bunch app is a time-saving tool helping banana growers across North Queensland better manage their crops.
It saves growers time by allowing them to record their on-farm practices while out on the farm and access their records, either by their mobile device or computer.
So far the Better Bunch app has been used to record practices on over 3000 hectares in North Queensland. Australian Banana Growers’ Council (ABGC) Extension officer Robert Mayers says, it saves the hassle of taking a pen and record books into the field.
"The app links to the Banana Best Management Practices, the APVMA website and the Bureau of Meteorology for your spray applications," he said. "You can nominate your most used fertilisers and chemicals so they are prominent for recording chemical and nutrient applications. You can also input information when not in mobile service and will be notified there is information to be synched when back in range."
The app was funded by the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection to promote the uptake of the Banana Best Management Practices. The ABGC says this is just one of the emerging technologies being used by farmers to make their lives easier.
"There has been increasing uptake of new technologies as they become available and relevant to the banana industry," Mr Mayers said. "It was designed specifically for banana growers, with features identified by banana growers themselves.”
“Growers are using the Better Bunch app and are finding that it is making a real difference to their on-farm management. It’s helping them keep records and make better decisions on their farms.”
The Better Bunch app is free to growers with an Apple, ISO or Windows device who have completed the Banana Best Management Practice (BMP) self-assessment. The ABGC is available to assist growers with the BMP and use of the app.
This information can be recorded on the Better Bunch app:
- chemical application
- nutrient Application
- calibration schedules for fertiliser and chemical applicators
- soil and Tissue tests
- irrigation application
- harvest Details
- Plant management, for example planting, de-leafing and de-suckering.
For more information:
Australian Banana Growers’ Council
Phone: +61 447 000 203
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: