Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuador: Banana growers hold crucial meeting with the authorities
A meeting has been held in Quito between the Ecuadorian Minister of Transport and Public Works, Paúl Granda, and the country's banana exporters and producers. This meeting served to decide whether or not the so-called "March in Defence of the Production, Subsistence and Life", scheduled for Wednesday afternoon in Machala, would be held.
The freezing of the tariff framework for banana export services, in force since 8 May, together with the review of the port concession process, were the topics to be discussed.
In the Cantonal Assembly, which met last Friday in the presence of the representatives of the banana sector and the concessionaire YilportEcu SA, it was reported that there were still no satisfactory results regarding the proposals about the increase in tariffs for Puerto Bolívar's services.
Moreover, it was revealed that the YilportEcu concessionaire, which last May increased its rates from $ 0.13 to $ 0.20 per box and in September will increase them again to $ 0.27, will maintain its position.
The tariff increase for 28 services provided by Puerto Bolívar arrived after 50 years, generating discontent in the productive sector. The measure was approved by the Port Authority and is executed by the foreign concessionaire.
Through his Twitter account, Eduardo Ledesma, director of the Association of Banana Exporters of Ecuador, said that the Superintendence of Control of Market Power has requested the concession contract of Puerto Bolivar to be reviewed because of the "errors and studies not adjusted to reality."
Entrepreneurs must give $ 9,000 as guarantee
Renato Herrera, president of the San Miguel Corporation of Brazil, mentioned that a few days ago a statement from YilportEcu SA had announced that the export sector must give a guarantee of $ 9,000 in favour of the concessionaire to be able to continue using the Port services at the Puerto Bolívar terminal.
"That seems unheard of to me," pointed out Herrera. The Corporation is made up of 180 members, all organic banana producers.
Publication date: 7/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: