Job offersmore »
- Farm Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Plant Specialist City Farming - Netherlands
- General Manager, HandPicked Vegetables - US
- Agricultural Research Manager - Italy
- Grower / Consultant Asia
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- General Manager - China
- Agronomist - Armenia
- Grower Manager UK – Climate & Nutrition
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- AU table-grape, apple and cherry exports drop by up to 34%
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Exchange ratesmore »
NZ avocado oil producer's annual turnover hits $10mSince setting up production in Kenya amid the overall avocado boom, Kerikeri-based avocado oil producers Olivado has grown exponentially. In seven years, the business has grown its annual turnover tenfold to US$10.5 million (NZ$14.5m).
General manager Jason Vokes said the international popularity of avocado and moving into major supermarket chains in New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, over the past five years had boosted sales.
When it was set up in 2000, Olivado became one of the world's first producers of avocado oil and remains the largest today. As demand grew New Zealand's supply decreased and in 2010 Olivado opened its factory just out of Nairobi in Kenya.
The production plant in Kenya processes avocados that are sourced from 1800 farmers. The Kenyan factory produces 350,000 litres of avocado oil per year on average, more than double of what is produced in Kerikeri.
It exports to 33 countries and Vokes said it has been developing its distribution channels in Australia and South Korea.
Publication date: 7/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: