Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Blueberry campaign starts in Trento
While the blueberry campaign in Trento has just started, FreshPlaza talked to Matteo Bortolini from Società Cooperativa Agricola Sant'Orsola for an assessment on the spring campaign. Thanks to the new crops in Sicily, in fact, the Cooperaitve has extended its production calendar with the ambitious objective of supplying soft fruit twelve months a year.
Bortolini says that it was a new experience for Sicilian producers. "The weather was the only thing that affected consumption, but we're waiting for the year to end to make a definitive assessment. What I can say now is that producers have already confirmed quantities for next year."
As regards production in Trento, the cooperative still has to evaluate how much spring frost affected it. "We are expecting 10% less volumes in general but some members lost everything. The diversification in crop location is helping us reduce the general risk. Quality is anyway excellent and, weather permitting, we will continue until mid-October."
At the moment, supplies are enough to meet demand, which is increasing both in Italy and abroad. Cooperative members continue to invest and are experimenting new varieties. Some crops are a few years old, so the varietal selection has increased over the decades. In addition to Trento, the cooperative is diversifying its producer areas with Sicily and Calabria as well - this will strengthen its leadership position on the domestic market.
100 gr blueberry pot
As regards packaging, punnets with lids are the most popular, though various pots are being tested. Once purchased, the produce must not be washed and must be placed in the fridge immediately. The shelf-life is one week/10 days.
Sant'Orsola Soc. Coop. Agricola
Via Lagorai 131
38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)
Tel.: (+39) 0461 518170
Publication date: 7/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: