Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Kohlrabi starts to be grown on Murcian soil
This product, more typical of central Europe, is the new bet of a group of producers in the Spanish region of Murcia. It is not a particularly popular vegetable in the country, but according to Manuel Jesús Abril, in charge of its marketing, it has as many qualities as the cabbage varieties that are already consumed in this market. "It is cooked in the same manner and contains the same nutrients; the only difference is its outer appearance," he explains.
After two years of testing and analysing the market, they are obtaining a yield of about 65,000 kilos per season. "We are talking about 3 or 4 hectares in which a considerable investment has been made, and if our calculations are correct, the acreage will expand," explains the representative of Mediterranean Fruits & Vegetables. "For our part, we are open to selling it wherever it is requested. We believe it can be a very attractive product, because it is fully organic and certified by Global GAP," added Abril.
As for the prices at origin that have been estimated, each kilogram, sold in bulk, without leaves and in IFCO boxes, would cost around 0.70 Euro, while 8 units, with leaves and in a cardboard box would cost 8 Euro.
For more information:
Manuel Jesús Abril López
Mediterranean Fruits & Vegetables
Phone. +34 636310862
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: