Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
First report of Diaporthe eres on Italian peach treesItaly is the second leading global peach producer with 71 thousand hectares, many varieties and 1.3 million tons every year.
In June 2016, symptoms of a stem canker with brown-blackish lesions and associated chlorosis of leaves were observed on 9-year-old peach trees of the Amica cultivars. Samples were taken randomly in two orchards in the Savigliano (Cuneo) area, where 35% of the trees were affected.
Stems affected by Diaporthe eres (Photo by Spadaro D.)
The research team coordinated by pathologist Davide Spadaro from Disafa at the University of Turin, in collaboration with Agrion technicians, isolated the pathogen.
"Morphological and molecular analyses show that it's a case of Diaporthe eres, a pathogen already identified on peach trees in Greece and vines in Italy and also known for being the cause of rose canker. Nonetheless, to our knowledge, this is the first report of D. eres as stem canker agent for peach trees in Italy. Considering the primary role of peach cultivation in Italy, further studies will have to be conducted to better understand and control the disease."
Source: Prencipe S., Nari L., Vittone G., Spadaro D., 'First Report of Diaporthe eres Causing Stem Canker on Peach (Prunus persica) in Italy', Giugno 2017, Plant Disease, Volume 101, Number 6, Page 1052.
Publication date: 7/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: