Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico to enjoy cherries from the Northwest US for at least 10 weeks
Mexican consumers will be able to enjoy the sweet and explosive flavor of fresh cherries for at least 10 weeks, so it is important to take advantage of this fruit's gastronomic and health benefits.
The representative of the Northwest Cherry Farmers, Juan Carlos Moreira, told Notimex that the cherry is a fruit that arrives in June, July, and August, but that this year's harvest was leaned more towards July and August.
"Since we have a very short season, people have not realized that we are entering the cherry season. It is a bit like the capulines that our grandparents ate. They were only available in a season, so if we let these two months go by and forget that we have to buy some cherries, we might get to miss their wonderful taste," he said.
Thus, he said, it is important for the farmers that Mexicans are well informed about when this fruit's season takes place. This fruit is grown in the northwestern United States, in Washington, Idaho, Utah, Montana and Oregon, and it is exported to more than 20 countries, including Mexico.
After welcoming the cherry season at Casa Quimera, located in the colony Roma, he highlighted the importance of publicizing the benefits of this fruit, which in addition to having an explosive flavor is good for people with diabetes and for people with rheumatoid arthritis, as it has antioxidants and flavonoids that help decrease muscle inflammation.
He added that consumers could find cherries in various outlets, ranging from small fruit carts, neighborhood markets, central markets, and shopping centers.
The manager told Notimex that, up until 10 years ago, this fruit was not very well known among Mexicans and that today only 60 percent of people are aware of it. "Fortunately we already have a great penetration, especially in the cities of Mexico, Guadalajara, and Puebla; and it is just beginning in Monterrey."
Moreira said that people should take advantage of the availability of this fruit, as it will only be availabe for a very short period of time, 10 weeks; However, he said, the fresh cherry's characteristics can be maintained for up to four months if they are placed in airtight bags in the freezer.
The fruit has all the properties to make a good detox,he said. People who exercise prefer cherries, as they help decrease the inflammation of muscles, and because they are very practical. It is an ideal fruit for those who work or simply love to pamper themselves with their flavor, he stressed.
Regarding the You deserve them! campaign released this Monday, he said that "including this super fruit in your diet provides great health benefits; in addition to being delicious, it's very practical because you can eat it at anytime and anywhere."
According to the Commission of Northwest Cherry Producers, Mexico's consumption of this fruit increased by 62 percent in 2015, with almost 240 thousand boxes marketed in some cities of the country.
He said that 70 percent of the fresh cherries were distributed in municipal markets and on-wheel markets, while the remaining 30 percent was sold in shopping malls.
In addition, he stated that one serving of cherries contained 87 calories, 22 grams of carbohydrates, one gram of protein and three grams of fiber, which makes it a healthy option to consume during this summer.
Publication date: 7/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: