Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Aleksandar Jovanovic from Aleksandar International:
“Serbia has perfect conditions for raspberries”In 2015, Serbia reached the 1st place for global raspberry production. That year, the country exported 100,000 tons of raspberries managing to beat the previous market leaders, Poland and Chile. However, Aleksandar Jovanovic from Aleksandar International said that, since then, demand has declined this year after some Serbian producers mixed their raspberries with lower quality Polish raspberries last year.
"It's such a shame because, due to bad practices of a few producers, the entire industry has been left to deal with the consequences. The cold weather and frosts also made the situation difficult this year, with forecasts predicting losses of around 40% for raspberry production." shared Aleksandar.
100% of the raspberries grown by Aleksander International are the Meeker and Willamette varieties, because they feel that other varieties like Polka and Polana don't deliver the same level of quality.
"Meeker and Williamette have a dry flesh which is really important for production, they have a better flavour than other varieties and there is no need for the use of pesticide or herbicides. Along with choosing the right varieties, insiders have said that Serbia has the perfect conditions for growing high quality raspberries. The high temperatures during the day and cooler temperature during the night, gives the raspberries the chance to 'rest' and maintain the complex organic compounds formed during photosynthesis." said Aleksandar.
As a provider of fruit plants, all of the raspberries they offer come from their own virus free nursery. Along with raspberries, the company also offers frozen sour cherries, blackberries, plums and blueberries. 80% of the plants they produce are sent out to export countries such as Russia, Italy and Albania.
"There has been a lot of talk and studies recently about the benefits and healing properties of raspberries. Some of the scientific studies have claimed that the fruit can prevent the spreading of many types of cancer such as; lung, oral cavity, esophageal, vascular, prostate and cervical.” concluded Aleksandar.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: