Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cuba: Ciego de Avila ripens bananas in cold chambers
La Cuba, a company that produces various crops in Ciego de Avila, put into operation six cold chambers for the ripening of bananas, which represents a great step forward from the economic and social point of view.
The equipment used has modern Italian technology and also serves to protect grains, potatoes and other products, stated Yosbel Alvarez, a quality specialist from the municipality of Baragua.
The investment is essential for Ciego de Avila, as more than 90 percent of the fruit that is harvested in its fields is destined for the country's tourist facilities, with the exception of Guantanamo.
Engineer Carlos Blanco Sanchez, the general director of the group (which is emblematic of Cuban agriculture), said that, from now on, the conditions to increase the deliveries to the tourist poles and thus the sales of a product with high demand would be very favorable.
The company's workers and technicians work hard to ensure that the ripening of the bananas complies with all quality requirements, including storage, cleaning, disinfection, flavor, texture, color, and having a product that is free of wounds, blows and bruises.
In addition to the Cavendish variety, which is the most demanded among tourists, the company also harvests and distributes tubers, roots, vegetables, and grains to local markets.
The cold chambers to ripen bananas was applied in Ciego de Avila for the first time in the Ceballos industrial complex in 2015, with considerable savings in pulp extraction and production of mashed potatoes for children.
Publication date: 7/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: