Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- The new Spring Sunshine mandarin could be the world's tastiest
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Pakistan rupee sees highest drop in nine yearsPakistan's currency dropped on Wednesday by the most in nine years amid rumours of devaluation due to a surging trade deficit and the shrinking exports of the country.
The rupee hit its lowest level since 2013 by shedding value of more than 3 per cent to 108.1 against the US dollar, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
South Asia's second largest economy came under severe pressure due to the country's surging trade deficit on the back of falling exports and a sharp increase in the import bill.
The trade deficit soared 42 per cent to an all-time high of $30 billion in the first 11 months of the financial year 2016-17. In May, the year-on-year trade deficit surged 61 per cent to $3.465 billion, according to the latest data released by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics.
The year-on-year import bill during the July-May 2017 period rose 20.6 per cent to $48.54 billion. It is expected to reach over $53 billion this fiscal year. In the 11 months through May, the export dropped from $19.14 billion a year ago to $18.54 billion, putting pressure on the currency.
Publication date: 7/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: