Announcements

Job offersmore »






Specialsmore »

Top 5 - yesterday

Top 5 - last week

Top 5 - last month

Exchange ratesmore »




A+ | A-
From Honduras
Agrolibano: a leader in the export of Galia melons

Based in the southern part of Honduras, the Agrolibano group of companies employs approximately 500 permanent workers and around 5000 temporary workers. Its main company is Agropecuaria Montelibano which produces approximately 4 million boxes on an area of 2,400 hectares. Of this volume 3,000 containers are exported to the US (65%) and the remainder to Europe (35%), to cover the winter season of the Northern hemisphere (January to May).



The main varieties traded under their own label Mike's Melons are Cantaloupes (American type) and White Honeydew Melons for the US market and Galias for the European market. Keny Giancarlo Molina, Commercial Representative for Europe clarifies that processing programs are also possible: "Every year, our R&D team tests several new varieties".

Agrolibano's growing is protected from adverse climate effects since the region is protected by natural barriers. Additionally, the group continuously tries to improve their processes and methods of production and manufacturing with good agricultural practices and to reduce the use of chemicals.

This shows the increasing investments by the group in the implementation of a laboratory for the biological control supported by specialists at the region, who already developed important techniques in the control of plagues and diseases.



According to the FAO of the United Nations, Honduras is among the 20 largest producers of melons worldwide. China is the largest not only as a producer but also as a consumer. However, according to Molina, "We compete directly with Central American countries like Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama. Guatemala is the main rival for the US market, and Costa Rica for the European market. It is important to clarify that climate and soil conditions in our farm make the quality of our Galia melons one of the best available qualities in the market in the winter period. Agrolibano is the second firm in size, but it dominates exports to Europe and the only one that produces and trades Galias. Aditionally, Agrolibano renewed its GlobalGAP certification and acquired Tesco's Nature Choice certification”.



Expectations are very positive in this campaign, better than before, as declared by Engineer Molina, “all improvements in our processes allow us reaching the highest demanding levels from our customers".

Contact:
Keny Giancarlo Molina
Commercial Representative Europe - United Kingdom
Agrolibano
Bo. Victoria, Calle Principal
San Lorenzo, Valle
Honduras
Tel: +504 781-2186 Ext.: 239
Cellphone UK:+44 (0)77333-69569
Skype: kennygmolina
www.agrolibano.hn
Email

Publication date: 3/7/2008
Author: Jahir Lombana
Copyright: www.freshplaza.com


 


Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


 

Other news in this sector: