Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Saudi Arabia to ban imports of Egyptian strawberriesSaudi Arabia is banning imports of Egyptian strawberries due to pesticide residues, said Abdel Hamid al-Demerdash, the head of Egypt's Agriculture Export Council, the latest such ban to hit Egypt as it struggles to revive its economy.
The temporary ban comes into effect on July 11, Demerdash told Reuters on Sunday, adding that the memo received from Saudi Arabia did not specify the levels of residues detected or name the companies that have committed violations.
"Egypt will not face large losses due to the ban as the exporting season for strawberries ended on April 10," Demerdash said. He added that strawberries represent 5-10 percent of the country's total agricultural exports.
Since a currency float in November, which roughly cut the pound's value in half, Egyptian exports have been welcomed in new markets due to their increased competitiveness.
Exports of Egyptian vegetables, fruits and legumes amounted to $2.2 billion last year. The main fruit exports include oranges and strawberries.
A series of bans of Egyptian exports however has hurt the image of an import-dependent country seeking to step up exports and curb imports in an effort to narrow its trade deficit.
"I expect the crisis of Egyptian agricultural exports to Arab countries to be resolved before the beginning of the new export season which begins mid-November," Demerdash said.
Egypt exports about 1.2 million tonnes of agricultural produce to Arab countries annually, he added.
Publication date: 6/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: