Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigerian town of Akamkpa gets $5m banana farm contract
The Cross River Government says that it has awarded a contract of around $5,083,408 for the commencement of work on a model banana farm project in Akamkpa town of Akamkpa Local Government Area.
Anthony Eneji, state Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Calabar.
Mr. Eneji said that the contract was the first phase, adding that work would commence on 100 hectares out of the 250 hectares of land allocated for the project in the state.
According him, the second phase will start in Boki Local Government Area.
“The farm will grow different species of banana, and thereafter, turn them into finished products such as fruit juice, banana sweets, chips and so on,” he said.
The commissioner said the state had been blessed with natural crops like banana, plantain, pineapples and Cucumber, among other.
Publication date: 6/14/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: