Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- “Increased availability will boost US lemon consumption”
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
High yields & stable prices for Romanian cucumbersLocated in Matca, Romania’s largest greenhouse area, spanning around 1500 hectares, Marius Petrache, General Manager of Marcoser, said that despite the extremely cold winter, followed by freezing temperatures in March and April, they will have high yields this season. Although many of the open field crops were compromised, the growers were able to fix many of the issues once they arrived and have been able to limit their losses.
"Cucumber prices have been fluctuating a lot from day to day, but generally the farmers are satisfied at this moment. The prices were quite stable and the investments have almost been recovered until now. Prices have dropped in the last 3-4 days, but this had to do with it being the end of the first cycle of crops."
Unfortunately, the biggest problem,according to Petrache, is the lack of storage and sorting facilities. Not all cucumbers are sorted and he shared that some vegetables are not sorted at all. Also, we don't have any professional packaging materials and that negatively affected the regions export capacity.
“From Matca, cucumbers are loaded in trucks to Poland and to other European countries. Every day more than 100 tonnes are loaded from our local market. We also supply vegetables for the large supermarket chains in Romania like Lidl or Kaufland, along with Romanian processing facilities.” shared Petrache.
Along with cucumbers, the company produces large quantities of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cabbage, watermelons and potatoes. As of 6 June, cucumber prices in Romania were €0.10/kg, tomatoes €0.65/kg, yellow Pepper €0.83/kg, hot peppers €0.02 per piece, cabbage €0.15 /kg, melon €0.83 /kg and eggplants €0.76 /kg.
For more information:
Tel: +40 236 836 366
Fax: +40 236 836 088
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: