Job offersmore »
- Junior Buyer / Seller - Spain
- Product Manager - Netherlands
- Technical Support Specialist - USA
- Manager Product Development - UK
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Graduate Grower - Tomatoes - Australia
- Crop advisor - Canada
- Horticultural and Hydroponic Sales Specialist - Western Canada
- Greenhouse Manager Tomato and Strawberry - Azerbaijan
- Algemeen Directeur
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Gale force winds damage hundreds of acres of banana farms in IndiaHeavy rain accompanied by gales destroyed hundreds of acres of banana farms in and around Papanasam near Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district in India on Tuesday.
Papanasam and many parts of Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district received heavy rain on Monday night. Several low lying areas in the town were inundated following the downpour which lasted for over an hour.
Thousands of banana trees raised on hundreds of acres of lands in Patteeswaram, Thenampadugai, Thirumettraligai, Thiruvalansuzhi and Valayappettai were destroyed by the strong winds. Several other trees were also damaged in Kumbakonam, Papanasam, Thiruvidaimaruthur.
Meanwhile, R Ayyaru, 55, a farmer and native of Thurumbur village near Papanasam, died on the spot after he came into contact with live electric wires lying on the ground, on Tuesday morning. He was going to his banana farm when the incident happened. Papanasam police registered the case and are investigating.
Publication date: 6/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: