Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Gale force winds damage hundreds of acres of banana farms in IndiaHeavy rain accompanied by gales destroyed hundreds of acres of banana farms in and around Papanasam near Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district in India on Tuesday.
Papanasam and many parts of Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district received heavy rain on Monday night. Several low lying areas in the town were inundated following the downpour which lasted for over an hour.
Thousands of banana trees raised on hundreds of acres of lands in Patteeswaram, Thenampadugai, Thirumettraligai, Thiruvalansuzhi and Valayappettai were destroyed by the strong winds. Several other trees were also damaged in Kumbakonam, Papanasam, Thiruvidaimaruthur.
Meanwhile, R Ayyaru, 55, a farmer and native of Thurumbur village near Papanasam, died on the spot after he came into contact with live electric wires lying on the ground, on Tuesday morning. He was going to his banana farm when the incident happened. Papanasam police registered the case and are investigating.
Publication date: 6/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: