Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras' banana export increased by 12.8% in value
According to the Central Bank of Honduras (BCH), in the first quarter of 2017, Honduras exported banana for $134.6 million dollars, i.e. 12.8 percent more than in the same period last year.
Despite the fall in prices, the external trade of the fruit allowed the country to increase its profits by 15.3 million dollars more than in the same period of 2016, when the country achieved 119.3 million.
In the first quarter of 2017 the country exported 8.6 million 18-kilogram boxes, i.e. 13.1 percentage more than the 7.6 million boxes sold in the first quarter 2016.
According to the Central Bank, the increases were supported by improvements in plantations through the application of new planting, fertilization, cutting, and pest control processes.
However, revenues were affected by a 1.2 percent decline in prices.
According to the Bank's report, the banana box recorded an average value of $15.47 in the first quarter of the year. In 2016, the average value in the same period stood at 15,66 dollars.
The BCH said that the main buyers were the United States and Ireland.
Bananas are one of the country's main agricultural exports. In 2016, banana exports generated revenues of 456 million dollars.
Publication date: 6/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: