Job offersmore »
- Junior Buyer / Seller - Spain
- Product Manager - Netherlands
- Technical Support Specialist - USA
- Manager Product Development - UK
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Graduate Grower - Tomatoes - Australia
- Crop advisor - Canada
- Horticultural and Hydroponic Sales Specialist - Western Canada
- Greenhouse Manager Tomato and Strawberry - Azerbaijan
- Algemeen Directeur
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines banana industry grapples with numerous challengesRecognised as the second-ranked Philippine agriculture exports sector, the banana industry has largely been an underrated segment. Contributing $1.14 billion to the world banana trade in 2014, the local industry, particularly the fresh banana sector, is also the world’s fifth-largest exporter of bananas.
By classification, the industry is divided into three, namely: Cavendish, lacatan, and saba (cardaba). The Davao region attained the highest production with 3.85 million metric tons (MMT). The highest production of saba was attained by Davao in 2010 with 582,529 metric tons (MT).
Top major export destinations for fresh bananas include Japan, China and Korea. For chips and crackers, top export markets include Vietnam, China and the United States. The top destinations for local dried bananas are Vietnam, Japan and Saudi Arabia.
Publication date: 6/5/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: