Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Luis Ochoa, Olympic Fruit:
"Spanish stone fruit farmers might destroy their cropsThe stone fruit market is disastrous at the moment. "Spain is producing huge volumes. There are even reports that the growers are leaving fruit to rot on the trees or destroying them to push prices back up again", says Luis Ochoa of Olympic Fruit.
The situation applies to all stone fruits; apricots, nectarines, and paraguayos. "These Spanish producers are concentrating on the retail marker in order to get fixed prices and to avoid day trading. But retailers also look at the prices on the free market", says Luis. "We now find ourselves in a situation where people are willing to give discounts just to make the sale."
There is, according to the importer, no short-term solution. "There is good demand, but the supply far exceeds this. This will only change if there is less produce, which will reduce the supply and increase the demand."
For more information:
Handelscentrum ZHZ 40A
2991 LD Barendrecht
T: +31 - (0)180 646200
Publication date: 6/2/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: