Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Mario de Goede, Coolfresh International
"Pineapples are overpriced and natural flowering is about to begin"The pineapple market is currently very difficult. "In April 2017, Costa Rica only exported 19% more pineapples than the previous year. And only 1,000 more containers, which is noticeable at the market", says Mario de Goede of Coolfresh International. He does not expect the next few weeks to be any better. "Natural flowering is starting now, so there will be more than enough pineapples."
"After Easter, prices dropped and we are now at a price level of between 6 and 8 euro. Many importers are calling a halt as they are trading at under cost price at the moment. The natural flowering is still going to last to week 25 in Costa Rica. Sales to the processing market have dropped dramatically as well, negating the alternative," says Mario.
"All-in-all, June is going to be a difficult month. Competition from other summer fruit has not been too high yet, but the supply is going to increase now. It will be a matter of being smart about importing and not flooding the free market," Mario concludes.
For more information:
Mario de Goede
Direct office: + 31 88 3 777 138
Mobile: + 623 931 499
Publication date: 5/31/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: