Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Mexico's melon production increases
The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food (SAGARPA) stated that Mexico's melon production increased from 543,000 to 564,000 tons between 2015 and 2016, which means the country had a higher supply of this product for domestic consumption and exports.
The main producing states of this fruit are Coahuila, Sonora, Michoacan, Guerrero, and Durango, which together account for 82.4 percent of the all the country's production.
This product is cultivated in 20 thousand hectares in 22 entities of the country. In the last four years, the country's average production has stood at 546.7 thousand tons.
In terms of volume, Coahuila contributed 119,187 tons; Sonora, 107,150 tons; Michoacan, 93,000 tons; Guerrero, 92,196 tons, and Durango, 53,945 tons.
Based on statistics from the Agri-Food and Fisheries Information Service (SIAP), SAGARPA stated that melon production had increased at a four percent annual rate.
The Delegation of Sagarpa in the Lagunera Region said that during 2016 the Lagunera Region had ranked first in melon production, as it had 4,948 hectares devoted to this fruit and produced 145,753 tons, i.e. 26% of the national production, worth 626.31 million pesos.
The production of melon in the Laguna de Durango, which is located in the area of Tlahualilo and Ceballos, produced 53,945 tons during 2016; meanwhile, the production volume in the Laguna de Coahuila was 91,808 tons, accounting for 77% of the State's production.
Mexico's melon harvest season takes place in the months of March, May, June and August, when 47.5 percent of the total production is obtained.
Publication date: 5/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: