Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Simplot cancels plans to grow commercial GMO potatoes in Canada this yearThere will be no commercially grown GMO potatoes on Prince Edward Island this year, according to Simplot Plant Sciences, the company that developed the Innate potato.
Innate potatoes bruise less and have less black spots than conventional potatoes.
Doug Cole, director of marketing and communications, said the company is holding off allowing commercial growth of Innate potatoes in Canada until there's a proven market for them.
"There is strong interest from the grower community and retailers are also interested. But it's a very involved purchase decision," said Cole.
"Because we're the only branded bio-tech item in the produce aisle it's an involved decision, right, and so they don't want to take it without a lot of advisement and we certainly understand that and we'll be patient. When there's a market we'll be there."
He said there are about five acres of test plots on P.E.I. this year. That potato will require 50 per cent less pesticides, which he thinks both farmers and consumers will be interested in.
Cole added over the last three years, the acreage in the United States has grown to 6,000 acres, and the potatoes are sold in about 4,000 supermarkets across 40 states.
Publication date: 5/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: