Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "US agriculture has failed to benefit from the Korean Free Trade Agreement"
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Photo report New York Produce show
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Depleting groundwater hurts pineapple crop in Pachamalai, IndiaFor tribal farmers in Pachamalai, India who ventured into pineapple cultivation it has been a dismal season. The yield has been poor due to depleting groundwater and also due to failure of the north-east monsoon.
The farmers had taken up pineapple cultivation for the first time under WADI, an integrated tribal development programme being implemented by the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development in the hills. According to a cross section of farmers, the fruits were far below the normal size.
The NABARD had distributed saplings to 53 farmers -- 34 in Tiruchi district and 19 in Salem district during 2015-16. The crop was raised in 53 villages. Each farmer was given 200 saplings so that they could harvest 200 fruits at the end of the year. Though the yield during the first year was appreciable, the yield during the current season was quite poor, says Mani, another coordinator.
Farmers complain that the price is not attractive as they are forced to sell the fruits only to jackfruit dealers for want of an alternative. They want the State government to ensure adequate marketing avenue for pineapples.
Publication date: 5/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: