Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Organic cultivation also growing
"Growing demand for Colombian avocados"
The Belgian Johan Beckers was on holiday in Colombia almost 20 years ago and decided to start a company specialised in the export of the products grown in the country. "We were one of the first fruit and vegetable export companies in Colombia," says Johan. Andes Fruit works together with small and medium local growers. "They produce and we export. Meanwhile we are also growing a share ourselves."
Top left: from 10 to 12 May Andes Fruits participated in Macfruit in Rimini.
Andes Fruit also supplies physalis, also known as the 'Golden Berry'. "We also export granadillas, pitahaya, tamarillo and other exotics. As of recently we also have avocados in our assortment. The first will be shipped in September 2017. We have a lot of small growers here and we bring the harvest together, package it and send it in containers to various markets." The cultivation of avocados started to take shape in Colombia a few years ago. "The Hass variety is the main variety here. It's the best to transport. They are cooled to 5/6 degrees and this gives them a 30 day chelf life. A lot is expected from the avocado export and this is why there is a lot of investment in the production."
The organic cultivation is also growing in Colombia. "Based on an initiative from Volkert Engelsman of Eosta, we started focusing on the production of organic and socially responsible fruit to be able to offer optimal healthy products. It is a challenge to grow organically here. We offer organic physalis at the moment and we have also had organic pitahaya in our assortment for a few weeks now. Over the coming time more products will be added to the organic segment. There is a lot of demand for them."
For more information:
T: (57-1) 875 9085 - 875 9169
M: +57 300 266 1576
KM 7 via Bogota
Medellin, Parque Industrial
Celta - Bodega 10 Lote 41 Manzana C
Publication date: 5/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: