Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Study on the economic impact of Florida's citrus industry paints grim picture
The Florida citrus industry's major economic contributions to the state’s economy have declined by 31 percent in four years through the 2015-16 citrus season. That includes a 9 percent decline in 2015-16 compared to the previous season, perhaps a sign the decline is accelerating.
“But $8.6 billion in contributions to the state’s economy is not insignificant,” Christa Court, a University of Florida economist, told the Florida Citrus Commission on Wednesday.
Court was a lead author in a new study on the citrus industry’s impact on the state’s economy in the 2015-16 season, the most recent possible because of lags in obtaining and analyzing data.
The new study found the $8.6 billion economic impact included $6.2 billion from juice manufacturing, $2.1 billion from farm production and $308 million related to fresh citrus packing and sales.
Florida citrus supported 45,422 full and part-time jobs, down 31.6 percent from the previous study, according to the report. Those jobs generated almost $2.6 billion in labor income, down 31.1 percent over the same period.
Publication date: 5/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: