Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Badr Abdalla, of Albadr Corporation
Egypt: "Watermelon campaign expected to be better than last year's"
Egyptian watermelon growers faced several problems last year. They harvested the fruit very early, there was little volume and they had to face water shortages. However, this year the producers are more optimistic about the campaign, as they have had access to enough water and have also waited for the time that the fruit needs to develop properly, clarifies Abdalla. "The recent opening of the Russian borders to our country's products will also contribute to the good sale of watermelons and of Egyptian products in general," states Abdalla.
This Egyptian company has an average production of 1,000 tonnes per year, 100% of which are exported. They are available in the market from April to the end of August and the countries that demand them are Saudi Arabia (40% of the total exported), Kuwait (30%), Russia (20%), the United Arab Emirates and Lebanon (3%).
At the moment, the price of Egyptian watermelons oscillates between 300 and 400 dollars per tonne (FOB) and the fruit is marketed in standard boxes.
For more information:
Albadr Corporation for Import & Export
Tel.: +20 1224691468
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: