Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- The new Spring Sunshine mandarin could be the world's tastiest
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Liuba Tumedei from Orogel Fresco
Italy: Lettuce is suffering but things are better for artichokes"The effects caused by the abnormal weather of the past few months are still being felt by vegetables, though the situation should now be going back to normal," reports Liuba Tumedei from Orogel Fresco.
"The cold temperatures in the south and sudden heat in the north followed by a cold front caused supply problems. For example, lettuce prices are not very satisfactory at the moment due to overlaps."
Friggitello peppers were also affected by the weather. "As Orogel Fresco, we procure our produce from southern Italy first and then from central and northern Italy. Harvesting in Romagna will start in early July. Although demanding from an agronomic point of view, this vegetable guarantees increased flexibility during the working day. But let me explain it better: while there are products, such as lettuce, that must be harvested immediately without wasting time, friggitello peppers are not as demanding."
Broad beans and peas are also in full production. Demand is good, as is quality despite the weather. If things continue this way, a good gross saleable production is expected.
"This has been a weird year for artichokes as there were weather problems in the south. Demand is rather high now but there is not much produce available. Quality is very good and demand has been lively for artichokes to put under oil."
Orogel Fresco has just started collecting fennel from its Romagna partners. Quality is excellent and we just have to wait and see how the market will react.
Liuba Tumedei - Sales dept
Via Emilia 3800
47020 Longiano (FC)
Tel.: (+39) 0547 651860
Fax: (+39) 0547 651809
Publication date: 5/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: