Job offersmore »
- Management Accountant - Portugal
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Watermelons competing with stonefruit & grapes in GermanyWatermelon demand is steady, but looks as if it is on the verge of increasing in the German market. Emanuele Lauricella from Life Produce GmbH said that they started offering the melons around one month ago, expecting to double their import quantity over the next month.
"The watermelon season was slow to start this year because of the cold weather, but there is always demand. Plus, they have to compete with stonefruit and grapes, which are popular with consumers this time of year. We are currently importing around 80,000-90,000 kg weekly, but this should double over the next month." shared Emanuel.
Life Produce sources their melons from various countries, such as Italy, Greece, Morocco and Iran. The season started with Moroccan watermelons and will switch over to Greek and Italian supply in July.
"Germans themselves generally tend to prefer the smaller melons, while people from other countries living in Germany like the larger varieties. We have a large offering of different types of watermelons, but there is no clear favorite; customer demand seems to depend on the success they have had in the past with sales."
Along with watermelons, Life Produce also imports all sorts of melon varieties such as Cantelope, Galia, Piel de sapo, Seedless and Dumara.
For more information:
Life Produce GmbH
Tel: +49 211 39020567
Fax: +49 211 29364877
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: