Job offersmore »
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
- Category Manager – Avocado & Mango Australia
- International Buyer exotics (Spanish speaking) - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
- Nutritional difference between red and green apples
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL PINEAPPLE MARKET
- South Africa: perfect storm of climatic conditions caused Navel splitting
- Overview of CPMA awards for industry leaders and new products
- Argentina unable to export fruit to China due to lack of quality and high logistical costs
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Watermelons competing with stonefruit & grapes in GermanyWatermelon demand is steady, but looks as if it is on the verge of increasing in the German market. Emanuele Lauricella from Life Produce GmbH said that they started offering the melons around one month ago, expecting to double their import quantity over the next month.
"The watermelon season was slow to start this year because of the cold weather, but there is always demand. Plus, they have to compete with stonefruit and grapes, which are popular with consumers this time of year. We are currently importing around 80,000-90,000 kg weekly, but this should double over the next month." shared Emanuel.
Life Produce sources their melons from various countries, such as Italy, Greece, Morocco and Iran. The season started with Moroccan watermelons and will switch over to Greek and Italian supply in July.
"Germans themselves generally tend to prefer the smaller melons, while people from other countries living in Germany like the larger varieties. We have a large offering of different types of watermelons, but there is no clear favorite; customer demand seems to depend on the success they have had in the past with sales."
Along with watermelons, Life Produce also imports all sorts of melon varieties such as Cantelope, Galia, Piel de sapo, Seedless and Dumara.
For more information:
Life Produce GmbH
Tel: +49 211 39020567
Fax: +49 211 29364877
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: